Sweet Seventy9 wrote:solo79 wrote:Definitely want to see how much cutting it takes on the front pocket. So far though, would you say that you could easily re-install the factory rear springs and shocks with no problem?
Wondering those things myself. What tool will you use to do the cutting?
Here's the total modification of Irene's body that she received during her time on the cutting table:
First were the 4, 1/2" holes under the back seat to insert the grommets and run the 3/8" hoses.
Then I cut the front outer frame spring pocket to create the clearance to make sure I could run my fingers around the bags and make sure they didn't rub on anything.
The upper corner of the air spring towards the cab was the problem causing the extra trimming for clearance
After double checking with Ridetech that where their instructions state that you'll need NO modifications to the upper or lower shockwave mounts to fit, to get the Delrin bushing to fit/work properly you actually need to drill a 3/4" hole in the upper mount to seat the bushing properly otherwise you'll smash them.
Here's the smashed one from initial fitment.
Ridetech was more than happy to resend new one but I don't think they sounded like they cared to fix their instructions. I was actually told I could probably use a file to clear the space if I didn't have a drill bit. I don't think he's used a file on a frame before because a $20 bit and the time back and forth to the store and then the 5 minutes to drill them out in my opinion is way better and more efficient than ever trying to file a frame from about 1/2" to 3/4" I'd still probably be at it today if that's the route I went.
Let me know what other questions/ideas you might have and be expecting a full write up and pics this weekend. Tonight is cleaning up the last of the wiring and getting some beauty shots to add tomorrow if the weather is cooperating after work tonight.